We have already given you tips on How to Drive in Heavy Rain. This installment focuses on how to drive in snow. If you can think of any tips we have missed, let us know and we will happily add them to the list.
- When you get in the car, dry the soles of your shoes on your car mat to make sure your feet don’t slip off the pedals.
- When you pull away, use second gear to help the car grip and reduce the chance of your wheels spinning.
- Always brake gently to avoiding skidding.
- When driving up hill, try to avoid stopping, take it slowly and leave plenty of space between you and the car in front.
- When driving down hill use low gears, take it slowly and leave plenty of the space between you and other cars.
- If you drive an automatic vehicle select ‘2’ (or your vehicle’s equivalent). This will limit the gear changes and make the car less reliant on the brakes. Some cars will have a specific setting to reduce wheel spins. It is always best to check the vehicles handbook.